Sunday, April 14, 2013

Update since 2011!
Mount of Olives, over looking Jerusalem, Israel (March 2013)



In 2011, I struggled for the entire year searching for a job. It seemed that no one wanted me. Simple, basic jobs like telephone customer representatives and even hotel maid work eluded me. One call back, and that rejected me because I didn't have a permanent residence permit. There was an abundance of English speakers from the UK that didn't have the added issues of a one year permit. It was incredibly frustrating.

During that time, I was also volunteering at an exotic animal sanctuary, and had a hope of getting a permanent contract with them. First I was going to be a keeper, then offered head keeper, then offered curator. I thought finally, finally I had was I was looking for! But there was some doubt in my mind, as the promised contract was slow in coming, and then slower, and then non existant. The plans that had been made that would have provided me the job had fallen through. Once again, I lost my promise of work.
Croatia (2011)

I got pretty desperate, and my Dutchie and I seriously considered going back to the US. It would have been a struggle, and would have involved a lot of separation, but I just couldn't NOT work. It isn't in my nature. I needed my own paycheck, my own livelihood. As much as I appreciated (and still do) the incredible kindness and understanding of my sweetie, I just needed work.

After an amazing visit and some encouragement from two friends from Florida, whose advice I greatly admire, I applied for an office position in my field, with lots of travel. I thought I would never get it. I thought they were looking for someone with more experience. But I applied, and basically counted it as my last try. If this didn't work, I was going to have to go back and pray I could get my old job back.

Luckily for me, a miracle happened, and I got the job! It is exciting, involves lots of travel, lets me network with all the right people, and I really really enjoy it. I have an amazing office environment, great coworkers, a great boss, and lots of flexibility and autonomy. It is exactly right for me. Plus, in the last year I have seen 12 new European countries, met lots of interesting people, eaten some fabulous local food and generally enjoyed myself. While I miss my G terribly while I am gone, technology helps us stay connected and we manage. Absence makes the heart grow fonder after all!
Budapest, October 2012

So now I have been at my work for more than a year, and still going strong. Things are good, and I am looking forward to the future. I have achieved exactly what I hoped for: a job in my field that will further my career, learned enough Dutch to get around and manage a simple conversation, and grown a strong relationship with my sweet Dutchie, who I love very much, supports me in all ways and cannot imagine life without.

So that is life as it is at the moment! I will be posting some photos and stories from the last year over the next few weeks, plus things happening now. I hope you will be interested in reading!

Tot Ziens!
New Orleans Square, Louisiana October 2012

1 comment:

  1. How great that you got a job you like! I hadn't visited your blog in awhile, and I was glad to read your good news.

    ReplyDelete