Sunday, September 26, 2010

690 Hours

In less than 29 days, I will be walking onto a plane, transferring in the city-formerly-known-as-Detroit, and heading on to the land of tulips, windmills, wooden clogs, dykes, red lights and my sweet, sweet Nederlander.

This is a crazy decision. I know it is. Walking away from a job, team and animals that I love, in a city I love, in a state I love, where my crazy and beautiful family lives (who I love more than cities and states and jobs, but maybe not more than animals. They know this.) for what? Nothing but maybe a dream of a life with a handsome, sweet man (whom I have only spent four weeks with in 'actual reality'), in a country where I do not speak the language and I know as much about as I read on Wikipedia. Whew. Who made this decision again???

But what it comes down to is "you only live once", and I am willing to throw caution to the wind and live it fully. Love is the greatest of all adventures, and it would be absurd to throw away what could be an amazing paperback novel sort of story for fear of uncertainty and change. Thank you G. for inviting me on this adventure, full of little and big experiences. I can't wait to go exploring with you. <3

3 comments:

  1. Great post! I am bookmarking your blog, so I can read each new and exciting post. I'm Claycat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know .. we met once (silent retreat with Ginny Morgan, maybe ring a bell?) either way, all i know is that you (that's what i was led to believe anyway) requested my information from one of the ladies at the retreat and that's how we became fb 'friends', however, that was it. Nothing else became of it. I don't think we ever actually talked, messaged or anything in between.

    Last year, after perusing fb I found your blog one night, and this very post made me cry like no other (I still get choked up). I was so touched by your words, your courage, your sense of adventure, EVERYTHING. I felt jealous and happy at the same time. I find your story to be amazing. amazing.

    You have opened my eyes, heart, and feelings to the Netherlands. I've always wanted to travel, however, I've always been on the cautious side. Deep down inside I am scared; and reading your post was so scary, yet liberating. Knowing that you would travel so far away from the known to the unknown is just so risky, exciting and encouraging. And i thank you for that.

    I couldn't message you the night i found your blog, because I didn't have the courage. I was too worried of your perception of me. I didn't want to seem like a creep/stalker/weirdo. However, enough time has passed for me to be able to write to you and not mind if you think of me any less than what I really am.

    I been meaning to do this for a while. I just wanted you know that you are the symbolic representation of the all the things i wish to accomplish in my life. I know it's strange, however, i feel genuinely feel happy for you.

    I wish you the best in life.

    Raquel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Raquel,

      Thank you for your incredibly kind message. I have only just started blogging again, and somehow, I didn't get your message from nearly a year ago! I am sorry about that, as I missed a whole year to say thanks and reach out to you!
      I do indeed remember you from the retreat and still see your posts on my facebook. Yes, we didn't really connect, but it is nice when I see your occasional posts on my feed and feel some kind of small connection. One can always appreciate the spark that makes someone a seeker, and recognize it in someone else!
      I hope that you are indeed pursuing your own goals, and don't be afraid to take a risk. One thing I have learned, through both life and meditation, is that you can always start again, whether it is bringing your attention back to your breath, or moving back home when your grand adventure didn't work out. So knowing that your anchor is always available, it can really give you courage and freedom to pursue your wildest dreams.
      If you had asked me in August of last year, I thought my grand experiment had failed. I couldn't find a job here, and felt like a burden on my incredibly supportive boyfriend. But, somehow, things worked out and now I have the exactly perfect job for me in my life now, and my relationship is going strong. This life experience has only made me more confidant in life having a natural flow that generally works for you, rather than against you, if you have a long enough timeline, and the right amount of patience.
      I wish for you all the best, and hope that you will stay in contact! And Hotel April is always open if you ever head this way!

      Don't be afraid to make those leaps. They can take you to weird and exciting places!

      Metta,
      April

      Delete